As I briefly mentioned yesterday, I’m normally all about making a huge list filled with ways to improve myself for the upcoming year. Sometimes I share these things with others, yet most of the time they stay in my head. I’m usually one to accomplish my resolutions, no matter what lengths I have to go through to do so.
That being said, my resolution for 2014 is NO RESOLUTIONS. This year, I want to let myself off the hook to shut down the striving, endlessly spinning my wheels, and constantly battling for improvement. This year, I’d like the focus to be more on accepting who I am and where I am in life–and it be okay with that. To grant myself grace, focus on what I need rather than what I feel like I should need at any given moment.
Let’s be honest, the idea of going into a new year without any resolutions is a bit scary. What does it even mean to just relax and not constantly strive for the next ladder rung? For some, it might feel like a relief–like they’re off the hook. However, for me, it feels like going into uncharted territory without a map. What will define the success of the year if I have no goals? How will I know if I’m moving forwards or (gasp!) backwards?
I’m willing to take that risk of having no measurement for success and simply letting myself “be” rather than “do” all of the time.
Do you make new year’s resolutions?
What are your plans for tonight? I think we’re going to head out into the negative temps to see a movie together!
I’ve written this post in my head many times, yet every time I came to this little space to write it out, it just didn’t feel like the right words or the right time. Honestly, I’ve been on the fence whether or not I wanted to keep blogging for 2014. However, I feel like whenever I take a break, I miss this creative outlet and the things that come with it such as community, reading my old posts to remember parts of my life, etc.
These past few months have been packed full of events, projects, family, and friends as the holiday season arrived so very quickly this past year! Although the holiday hype is fun, I’m thoroughly looking forward to January and February being a bit quieter and peaceful for both my body and my mind.
As far as 2014 goes, I’m normally one to make a million resolutions claiming it to be my “best year yet”; however, this year, I’ve got a different agenda, which I will be sharing on the blog later this week.
Lastly, I’ve really been itching to get back into my illustration groove–I have some projects that I’ve worked on over the past few months that I’d still love to share–as well as some new ones. Above is a quick peek at a recent illustration project–check back for the full version!
Tell me one thing you’re looking forward to in 2014!
Even though it’s kind of a random mish mash of items, I’d like to share a few of the things I’ve been loving during this fall season!
1. First of all, I’ve been searching for the perfect pair of fall boots in a gray or black color and finally found a cute pair at DSW! I love the charcoal color and the heel–making them a bit dressier than my brown wedge-heel boots.
2. My cousin, Marissa, helped me pick out this cute infinity scarf while shopping at the Mall of America a couple weeks ago and I love pairing it with a bright colored top. We’ve started a new tradition of having “cousin shopping days” every 6 months or so and it’s so fun to spend the day hitting the mall with my two cousins and my aunt.
3 . These candy corn M&M’s are a seasonal favorite of ours; I believe my sister-in-law, Jen, is the one who told us about these last year. They don’t really taste like candy corn, but they sure are addicting!
4. Andy gifted me with some bottles of bubble bath as part of my anniversary gift and I’ve been enjoying this white citrus scent the most! There’s just something about taking a hot bubble bath–complete with a candle and relaxing music that is so rejuvenating after a busy day.
5. I picked up this Color Whisper lip color on a whim while shopping at Target a few weeks ago and instantly fell in love with its subtle color. It adds the perfect amount of shine without feeling sticky like a lot of lip glosses. I chose the “One Size Fits Pearl” shade, and am anxious to check out the other colors.
6. Last but not least, these sparkly earrings have been my go-to earrings this fall–especially when I’m wearing a big scarf. I purchased these at a friend’s jewelry party and wear them on a weekly basis.
What are some of your favorite items this fall?
Posted in cousins, fall, family, fashion, favorite things, food, Friends, pinterest, random, reviews, seasonal, starbucks